Job Opening: French Bilingual Elementary Teacher
PS 58 The Carroll School, in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, is seeking a highly qualified fluent French-speaking teacher for the 2011-2012 academic year.
PS 58 started a French dual language program in September 2007 with 24 students. The program has since expanded as a result of its success and growing demand from French-speaking families in the neighborhood. Thanks to the support of Education française à New York and Les services culturels de l’Ambassade, the program will welcome 250 students in grades K-4 in 2011-2012.
This dual language program is a bilingual (or immersion) program where instruction in all subjects happens in both French and English. In each classroom, fifty percent of the students speak French at home. The other half speaks English or another language at home, and is developing proficiency in French. By the end of fifth grade, students will be able to speak, read and write in both languages.
Only four stops away from Manhattan, the school is located in the charming, bustling neighborhood of Carroll Gardens and is surrounded by beautiful historic townhouses that overlook Carroll Park.
PS 58 is seeking highly motivated and enthusiastic candidates to teach in grades K-4.
- Permanent US citizenship or green card
- Teacher certification from New York State or another state with reciprocal agreements
- Fluency in written and spoken French
- Experience working with children
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong collaborative teaching skills
- New York State certification in elementary education
- New York State extension in Bilingual Education – French
- Knowledge of balanced literacy
- Knowledge of bilingual education or ESL
- Three years’ teaching experience in elementary education
Should you have questions about the program or the position, please e-mail Marie Bouteillon, Instructional Coach, at email@example.com. Please send your resume and cover letter in English and a French writing sample to Giselle McGee, Principal, at GMcGee@schools.nyc.gov.