French For Little Ones Petite Ecole is part of the French Immersion programs offered by French For Little Ones ( for more info visit us at frenchforlittleones.com).
Our Maternelle Petite and Moyenne section is a preschool program for children 2 to 4 years old following the French Education Nationale guidelines for Early Childhood Programs. Our day to day activities are the same as a class in France.
- 8:45 am: At the beginning of the day and after welcoming our students and greeting the parents, the children find their name on the board and put it in the “ A l’école” ( at school) column to show that they arrived in the classroom. After putting their bags and jacket in their cubby they go and play in the different centers of the classroom. Some play dress up and care for their baby dolls while others play with Legos, play dough or read a book.
- 9:15 am: Time to clean up! Children and teachers pick up all the toys before sitting in front of the board for circle time!
- 9:30 am: During circle time we will call all the children names. If they are here they will say “Je suis present(e)!” , then we count how many are in the classroom and how many are at home, count how many boys and how many girls before writing the number on the board with the help of the teacher. We talk about the weather and then put the right date on the board.
We talk about the activities of the day, themes, songs and the books that we will work on:
Our theme this month is Fall, this week we worked on apples and read two books on that subject “j’aime les pommes” and “Trognon et Pepin”, learned the songs Pomme de reinette et Pomme d’api and Pomme, pêche, poire, we did a nature walk and picked up leaves, acorns, branches and everything that reminded us of the Fall. We did some fun arts and crafts with leaves and apples. We also worked on identifying the first letter of the word Pomme, it starts with the same letter as poire, pantalon! We even got to taste apples from a local farm! We used some of them to make apple sauce during cooking class, it was delicious!
10:00 am: Time for a bathroom break! Then we say bon appetit to each other and eat a shared snack brought by a parent !
10:30 am: Recess at the park, we walk two by two to and play with balls, run and have some fun with our friends.
- 11:00 am: we come back to our classroom for the music circle. We sing fun songs, read books and learn some new words
- 11:20 am: Time for some activities; one group with one teacher working on pre-calculus, pre-reading, small motor skills and discovery of the word, the other group doing puzzles, blocks, coloring, pattern recognition, then we switch!
- 12:00 pm: Lunch time!
- 12:30 pm: Free play, children play until their parents pick them up at 1:00 pm.
That was a typical day at the French For Little Ones Maternelle. Our classes take place in a beautiful and colorful classroom rented at Play Greenpoint, 33 Nassau avenue, NY 11222.For enrollment info please contact Magda at email@example.com. French For little ones programs also include Mommy and Me classes, Enrichment classes( cooking, science, arts and crafts, Lego Workshop, music) and Summer Camp.